Sunday, February 10, 2013

Miss Representation

I had mixed feelings about the documentary.  Parts of me were outraged when the radio personalities said such terrible things about women.  Other parts of me were shocked to realize how much sex is in the media, usually degrading women.  And yet other parts of me just really wanted to hear Geena Davis say "Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!"  I think a big part of how the media portrays women is brought about by women themselves (obviously not ALL women, just the select few that objectify themselves and each other).  When men think that women are okay with being treated like that, they will treat them like that.  You don't see any of these actresses or models objecting to becoming sex objects, do you?  So yes, they then become sex objects.  I just get angry when men treat women like we're stupid, because many times, women are completely aware of what they are doing. 

I have to admit, I am one of those people who cracks jokes about my gender all the time with my guy friends...you know, "I guess I'll get back in the kitchen...where I belong..." I do this, not because I really think that way, but because I'm proud of how far women have come over the years, and I like mocking how things used to be. I guess I didn't realize how seriously some people take these things until I watched this video. 

I guess I don't know overall how I feel about the subject yet.  I'm hoping this class will enlighten me a little bit more, so that I can form a complete opinion of the subject.

1 comment:

  1. I like that you explain how you are still processing and thinking through these issues. Keep in mind that this class is one step in learning about gender in our culture--there are always more to go!

    ReplyDelete